We are pleased to announce a call-out for composers, lyricists and songwriters, for two new music theatre commissions â€“ each taking a new approach in response to opera's past.
We're looking for composers, lyricists and songwriters who are interested in telling a story through music and words (the essence of what opera is!). This may be a short story in itself, a character monologue, a revealing conversation between characters from the past and the present â€¦ the exact form the commission takes is up to you.
We're looking for short (around 5 minute) music theatre pieces, with no more than 4 musicians, which will be recorded for online broadcast, and performed live in 2021. We welcome artists from different musical backgrounds, and will accept applications from existing songwriting teams, or individual composers, lyricists and songwriters.
No previous experience of writing for, or great knowledge of, opera is required. Northern Opera Group's Artistic Director will work closely with each selected artist to provide the operatic background and context to fulfil each commission.
Artists are able to apply for both commissions available, should they wish. The commissions available are in response to
1) The Leeds Opera Story â€“ our heritage project exploring the 300 year history of opera in Leeds. We're looking for artists to respond to this heritage, drawing a connection between the art form's, and the city's, past and present (and maybe future!). The piece might focus on a particular opera important to Leeds, an artist or company who visited the city, or a story from one of the city's old theatres; the choice is up to you. Visit our online exhibition to learn more â€“ leedsoperastory.co.uk.
We are prioritising applicants from, or with a strong connection to, Leeds for this commission
2) Savriti (1916, words and music by Gustav Holst) â€“ this short, three person opera is based on the episode of Savitri and Satyavan from the MahÄbhÄrata, and will be performed at our 2021 Leeds Opera Festival. We're looking for artists to respond to this opera, which may be a retelling of the original story, a contemporary monologue based on its themes, or a response to Holst's interpretation of Indian classical music.
We are prioritising applicants from a South Asian background for this commission
To apply, please
- write a short (no more than 2 x A4) statement outlining your interest in the project, and an overview of your previous experience. At this stage, it is not necessary to outline the subject you would like to commission/s to take, but you are welcome to submit any initial ideas should you wish
- include links to your previous work, or enclose attachments of your music / writing with the application
- ensure that the application includes your name, and at least one of an email address and telephone number (ideally both)
- include a CV should you already have one (there is no requirement to provide one, however you are welcome to should you wish)
The fee for composers is Â£1,250, and for librettists is Â£310, to create a piece of around 5 minutes with a maximum of four musicians.
Note: Explore Talent only provides Internet exposure, resources, and tools for you to match your talent with auditions and casting directors. All materials, information, casting information, products, and services included in or available through this site (the "content") are provided "as is" and "as available" for your use. The content is provided without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability. All talent under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times